Aromatherapy massage is particularly suited to conditions involving stress or improving emotionally-related conditions.
- Stress and stress-related conditions such as insomnia
- Digestive disorders
- Premenstrual syndrome (PMS)
- Back pain
Here is a few examples of the research that is being done on aromatherapy massage:
- Self-massage significantly improved symptoms and wellbeing in people with lymphedema. It also slightly, but not significantly reduced limb volume. However, carefully chosen aromatherapy oils did not appear to be more effective than massage without aromatherapy oils.
- Sixteen first-time mothers received a 30-minute aromatherapy massage two days after delivery, while 20 mothers received standard post-partum care. The aromatherapy massage group had significantly decreased ratings of post-partum blues and anxiety and had increased vigor and attachment to their babies.
- Research suggests that patients with cancer, particularly in the palliative care setting, are increasingly using aromatherapy and massage.